Trying each day to remember to stop and smell the roses... The fun is in the "getting there"...

I, like many others I'm sure, get too caught up, too lost in the hustle and bustle. Do you ever stop to watch a sunset? Stop to feel a nice cool breeze? Stop to feel the grass under your feet? I want to slow it all down and breathe it all in.

Keeping me on track:

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

relections and soul searching...

I wanted to post this a few days ago, but haven't been able to find the time...  I mentioned in my last post that my good friend Louanna and I had a great chat when we visited last.

I am sure if you've talked to me or read my blog for a while, you can probably tell that I've been struggling with some aspects of the "new me".  I am feeling more comfortable in my skin, but my head is a foreign place to me.  I have noticed some changes in my feelings towards different things, and some of the changes have made me worry a bit.  I've been trying to put my finger on what's happening to me for a while.  I notice the differences mainly at work, but in other areas, too.  I think to myself that if I notice these differences, surely everyone else does too, right?

I have had a weird couple of months at work, so I have just chalked my "weird" attitude up to maybe some bitterness or maybe some burn-out.  I don't seem to have as much patience for people and I don't have nearly the "Light and Fluffy" I am used to. 

Louanna was able to help me sort thru some of these feelings in a way that totally "clicked" for me.  You see, for a long time I fit into a specific "box".  My adjectives were things like "Outgoing", "Accommodating", "Generous" and "Over-extended".  I used to care entirely too much about what others thought of me because I got my sense of value and worth based on what other people thought.  I would get great feedback from people.  People would pay me the nicest compliments and I would feel good about myself based on what they said.  I am happy to say that I am now able to see my worth all by myself.  I feel wonderful about all that I have accomplished and all that I am working towards and I don't need as much feedback or praise from others to feel ok with me.  So I find that I don't try too hard to make people like me.  I have the best core support group ever with some amazing friends and a wonderful and loving family and the most supportive husband!  Those people's opinions mean a lot.  It's important to me that my relationships with those people only grow stronger, but as far as "acquaintances" and everyone else, I find that I am not nearly as accommodating with them.  It's an adjustment for me, so I am hoping that I can embrace the new me.  As Louanna said, I just have a new set of adjectives and I just fit into a different box.  Not a bad box, both boxes are good.  They are just different. 

I am, for now, feeling a little less "crazy" and a little more empowered.  Thanks for letting me get that out and if you are still reading, thank you!

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing! Then, now, always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post. I truly hope you believe what you have written, because that is what I have been telling you for a long time. It is your time now. You are indeed the same wonderful, loving, incredible woman, just focused now on making yourself the person you want to be. You don't need to "forget" yourself in order for others to value you. In fact, making yourself a priority only translates to others making you a priority also. You go girl! By Jove! I think you've got it! :-) Love you...

    ReplyDelete