Trying each day to remember to stop and smell the roses... The fun is in the "getting there"...

I, like many others I'm sure, get too caught up, too lost in the hustle and bustle. Do you ever stop to watch a sunset? Stop to feel a nice cool breeze? Stop to feel the grass under your feet? I want to slow it all down and breathe it all in.

Keeping me on track:

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Generally Great

Hello and Happy Thursday!  This week has been a good week so far.  I am doing generally great.  MUCH better than last week.  I am feeling more like myself this week and my energy is picking back up. 
Something I have been thinking about today... 
How many times a day are you asked how you are?  I would venture to say I'm asked about 80 times a day.  (I work in a big office).  Now, I would say about 80% of the time, it's more just a greeting than a question.  I know I am guilty of that.  "Hi!  How are you?" Followed by, "I'm good. How are you"?  And we proceed with our walking in different directions.  Do you always respond with an, "I'm good"?  Do you pause and ponder and think, how am I?  The other 20% of the time are friends or loved ones who may actually be interested in a thoughtful, non-automatic response.  But even then, do they really want to know?  If I launch into a gripe fest about how my inner thighs look like a turkey neck and I ran out of toothpaste, so don't stand too close, is that sharing way TMI?  The days that you are "good", can you just say "I'm good"?  The days that are blue, can you say, "Eh, having a rough day" without having to explain why or risk raining on someone else's parade? 
I am pretty sure that I could say, "I'm generally great" and it would always be a pretty honest answer.  Maybe I'll just go with that.
If there is anyone still reading (really - why would you be?) I appreciate you letting me clear my head of this... :-) 

3 comments:

  1. I think we all are guilty of the automatic response, not really expecting anyone to be interested in the reality. Generally, if I know someone has been through a rough patch, I will probe more. Otherwise, I let it go, thinking the other person will tell me more if they want to share. Very thought provoking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it depends on the person asking. For many people it probably is just a greeting, but there are some people who seem genuinely interested, and you can usually tell them apart. I tend to fall into the "genuinely interested" category, which may be why I know the life stories of many grocery store cashiers, fellow airplane passengers and other random people with whom I have very briefly shared a part of my life. I mean, seriously, what could be more entertaining than hearing someone gripe about their inner thigns looking like a turkey neck?! Who wouldn't want to have that conversation? (Don't you wish your girlfriend had turkey neck legs like me?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Trish!!!! You made my WEEK with that!!! I love it!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete