Trying each day to remember to stop and smell the roses... The fun is in the "getting there"...

I, like many others I'm sure, get too caught up, too lost in the hustle and bustle. Do you ever stop to watch a sunset? Stop to feel a nice cool breeze? Stop to feel the grass under your feet? I want to slow it all down and breathe it all in.

Keeping me on track:

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Not exactly what I had planned...

It's been a while since I updated and with good reason...  My last post talked about how much fun I was planning on having last week.  My plans were chnaged just a bit... 
We still went to Chicago and it was awesome!  The hotel was neat, Linkin Park was awesome!  We got to see the city in a cab.  It was a great trip!  That's where the fun ended...
I mentioned that Friday I was scheduled for my 3rd (and hopefullly final) EGD.  I went to the doctor's office full of anticipation for all the foods I was finally going to be able to eat.  My proceedure was scheduled for 2 PM and I expected it all to be fairly routine.  They started my IV and took my back to the proceedure room.  I woke up from the drugs and got a big suprise.
During the proceedure, the balloon the doctor was using to dialate my opening popped.  Yes, popped.  I've learned that this hasn't ever happened to this doctor in his over 20,000 proceedures before.  Well, when the balloon popped, it ripped open part of my new pouch.  I woke up to several EMS personnel preparing to taking me in to the ER for emergency surgery.  I was able to see Nick for a second and I could tell whatever happened was serious.  I was still out of it enough that I couldn't fully grasp what was happening. 
They took me to the ER in an ambulance and prepped me for surgery right away.  Before I went back, I was able to see the several visitors that came.  It seemed like there were 20 members of my family and Nick's that were able to get to the ER in a flash.  I am so glad they were there for me and for Nick.  Dr Clark was able to come and do the operation.  I was in surgery for about 45 minutes while Dr Clark did the repair. 
When I woke up again, I was in a room with an NG tube in my nose.  Very uncomfortable.  Dr Clark was able to go in thru my original incisions.  I also had a drainage tube in my stomach.  I was in the hospital for 4 days and got out Tuesday.  I missed the rest of the week at work. 
I feel ok now, but it was very scary.  I've been told that I won't be able to do another EGD, so if another stricture presents, Dr Clark will have to handle it with surgery.  The goal was to dialate me to 15 mm and I was dialated to 13.5 mm before the balloon popped.  I am hoping that's enough that I can eat.  For now, I am back on a liquid diet, then pureed, then I'll try solids in the next couple of weeks.  Fingers crossed! 

3 comments:

  1. Scary times! But all in the past, and now you can move forward. You are looking soooo good! I know you can't see it yet, but you are awesome. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So scary. I know you're frustrated with having to start the healing process all over again along with going back to the start of the food stages, but you'll likely lose more weight, so that's one positive. Hang in there and let me know if there's anything you need - if only to vent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so scary, but I am so glad Dr. Clark was there and did an awesome job. You are such a rock, I am so proud of you. You were only "grouchy" once. I love YOU~

    ReplyDelete